Dear Kyoto NHK ESS members,
This is Motoko Tabata and let me inform you my practice on March 7th.
★ Genre: Discussion
★ Title: THE LOWERING THE LEGAL AGE OF ADULTHOOD FROM 20 TO 18 IN JAPAN
The voting age for national elections will be lowered to from 20 to
18 starting with the next Upper House election in summer 2016.
And also they are still considering to revise the Civil Code and
This trend will affect the age at which people can legally drink
alcohol or smoke and so on.
Nowadays most countries set the age of majority at 18.
We know all adults have both rights(freedom) and responsibility.
“Do you think it's too young in Japan?”
Let's discuss “Should Japan lower the age of adulthood 20 to 18 ?”.
1. Make 5～6 groups.
2. Exchange your comments in your group on the questions below.
3. Introduce what your group discussed to other groups (from around
(1) Do you agree to grant the people aged 18 and 19 the right to vote at
national/local elections and referenda?
(2) Do you agree to grant full legal capacity to make commercial/civil
contracts including marriage (without parental consents)?
(3) Do you agree to limiting the application of the Juvenile Act to
juveniles under 18?
(4) What do you think on other related legal subjects such as lowering
the smoking/ drinking age?
(5) Talk freely about related topics (ex. car driver’s license, playing
pachinko, late-night work, R-18(restricted)) .
I hope you will enjoy it !
See you on next Saturday!